Santo Domingo 2012
We are seeking a host for the 8th International Urban Sketchers Symposium in 2017!
Important proposal information:
- See the Selection Criteria here
- DEADLINE TO SUBMIT PROPOSALS: July 1, 2016
- Send your questions to email@example.com
- Request a PDF of previous winning proposals from firstname.lastname@example.org
- Selected city will be announced on July 30 at the Manchester Symposium!
What is the Symposium?
The International Urban Sketchers Symposium is an annual educational event organized by Urban Sketchers (USk) with workshops, lectures, demonstrations, sketch crawls and social gatherings organized for sketchers who attend from all over the world.
The goal of the Symposium is to celebrate and practice the art of on-location sketching in the host city. The event offers a high-quality educational experience in field sketching instruction, and opportunities for participants to network and socialize.
To align the Symposium more closely with the original spirit of the event and to maintain the emphasis on providing a high-quality educational experience, we are simplifying the event in a few ways. We have learned the Symposium works best when sketchers can easily connect with each other to sketch and share, so we will limit the number of attendees to no more than 400. We are offering two pass types, Workshops and Sketching; the Sketching passes will now include attendance at lectures and demos in addition to organized sketch crawls that may include educational components. Registration will be offered at two times: early registration prior to programming being announced and regular registration after programming is announced.
Geographical diversity is important to us! Following our spirit of showing the world, one drawing at a time, we aim to bring the Symposium to new cities and countries every year.
How is the Symposium organized?
The Symposium is a true team effort led by USk’s Symposium Team and representatives from the host city. Local organizers work with an international team, keeping in contact via a Google group, Google docs, Skype chats, and project management site Trello.com. You should plan for a small number of core local organizers to work on the planning, and have more local volunteers present at the event.
These are some of the basic responsibilities associated with the Symposium:
- Pay all costs associated with the event
- Provide scholarships to sketchers based in the Host city or country
- Recruit team of instructors (USk has final say on instructors and workshops)
- Determine and collect registration fees from participants and manage registration
- Manage travel arrangements for instructors and Symposium staff
- Manage Symposium web and social media presence
- Manage sponsors in conjunction with Host
- Work collaboratively with Host to ensure the success of the Symposium
- Determine dates for the event
- Secure a venue for activities (opening and closing receptions, demos and lectures)
- Recommend sketching locations for workshops
- Oversee local scholarship selection process and select scholarship recipients
- Help manage lodging arrangements for instructors and Symposium staff
- Assist with participant check-in
- Local logistics (including but not limited to selecting and coordinating local volunteers; receiving shipped materials; production items such as badges and brochures; working with local sponsors)
- Work collaboratively with USk to ensure the success of the Symposium
- Determine number of participants
- Determine schedule for events
- Creation of a Symposium logo
- Promotion of the event
- Create printed material (brochure, maps, etc.)