Instructor: LK Bing
A sketch will have more emotional and artistic values if we are able to incorporate dramatic mood or atmosphere in our sketching composition, and being able to do it speedily and spontaneously is a further achievement by urban sketchers. To achieve such a skill, this workshop’s mission is to teach space appreciation, spatial awareness on depth, sensitivity to tonal values, and consequently to instil the awareness of the serene and dramatic beauty of light and dark being brought out by the clever use of light and shadows.
- Applying lighting concepts and depth to express atmosphere.
- Creating spontaneous and artistic strokes.
- Making value study in order to look for the best composition and to build a library of best compositions for future reference.
- Understanding on tools and materials which helps to speed up and simplify the creation of quality sketches.
- Introduction. We will start by looking at sample sketches and tools.
- Demo #1: Drawing compositional value thumbnails (2-3 thumbnails).
- Participants draw their own compositional value thumbnails on the distributed cards and instructor will guide them one by one.
- Demo #2: Instructor creates two or three sketches.
- Participants create their own sketches and instructor will guide them one on one.
- Review and questions & answers.
- Traveler watercolour set or watercolour tubes
- Watercolour brushes : mop brush (medium size), round brush (medium size), rigger brush
- Ballpoint (blue colour), correction pen
- Gouache tube (chinese white)
- Water container
- Soft pastel (white, light grey, cadmium orange hue)
Provided and distributed by Instructor for free:
- Water soluble marker, value thumbnails cards (DIY)