CALL FOR SYMPOSIUM HOST 2015
Would you like the Symposium to come to your city next? Apply to be the host of the 6th International Urban Sketching Symposium in 2015!
Send your proposal to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information. Please keep overall response around 500 words. Feel free to include images.
- Why should the Symposium be held in your city? What makes your city ideal for meeting and sketching?
- Where will the group gather as a main meeting place? Where will the group gather for lectures and opening and closing receptions?
- Where will we sketch? Is it easy to get to these places from the main meeting place? List 10 to 15 possible locations or mark the locations on a Google map.
- Who will work on the Symposium? Tell us about yourself, your team, and your prior involvement with Urban Sketchers.
- When will the Symposium take place? Suggest approximate dates that work best for your location. Most Symposiums have taken place in July.
DEADLINE TO SUBMIT PROPOSALS: October 20, 2014
What is the Symposium?
The International Urban Sketching Symposium is an annual educational event organized by Urban Sketchers (USk), a nonprofit dedicated to fostering the art of on-location drawing.
The goal of the Symposium is to celebrate and practice the art of on-location sketching in the host city. The event offers valuable field-sketching instruction and opportunities for participants to network and socialize.
In 2014, the Symposium programming expanded to include three registration passes: Workshop, Activities, and Sketching. These gave participants more options for their level of participation, as well as a range of registration fees.
Geographical diversity is also important to us! Following our spirit of showing the world, one drawing at a time, we aim to bring the Symposium to new cities and countries every year.
How is the Symposium organized?
The Symposium is a true team effort led by USk’s Symposium Organizing Committee and the representatives from the host city. Here’s an outline of responsibilities of each party:
- Pay all costs associated with the event
- Provide scholarships to sketchers based in the Host city or country
- Recruit team of instructors (USk has final say on instructors and workshops)
- Determine and collect registration fee from participants
- Manage travel and lodging arrangements for instructors and Symposium staff
- Manage online registration of participants
- Manage Symposium web and social media presence
- Manage sponsors in conjunction with Host
- Work collaboratively with Host to ensure the success of the Symposium
- Determine dates for the event (can be three days or longer)
- Find a venue for activities (opening and closing, panels, demos and lectures)
- Recommend sketching locations for workshops
- Oversee local scholarship selection process and select scholarship recipients
- Assist with check-in of participants
- Local logistics (including but not limited to selecting and coordinating local volunteers; receiving shipped materials; production items such as badges and brochures; working with local sponsors)
- Work collaboratively with USk to ensure the success of the Symposium
- Determine number of participants
- Determine schedule for events
- Creation of a Symposium logo
- Promote the event
- Create printed material (brochure, maps, etc.)
Some things to keep in mind:
- Local organizers will work with an international committee, and will be expected to keep in contact via a Google group, Google docs, and a project management site (such as Trello.com)
- You may want to plan for a small number of local organizers to work on the planning, but have more local volunteers present at the event.
Contact with questions:Elizabeth Alley email@example.com