Stockholm is dark at the moment. No snow to brighten our short days, only rain and grey skies. On the positive side, this allows for sketching without mittens. This is Drottninggatan ("Queen street"), one of the most intense shopping streets in the city, and if you can look through the Christmas sale hysteria, this is actually a really beautiful place at the moment.
I am experimenting with alternative sketching tools, as usual in wintertime. Even if it´s not very cold yet, watercolours take forever to dry. This sketch is a mix of PITT Artist big brush pens, Uni POSCA markers and Neocolor crayons on dark grey paper. Works great for sitting outside under the awning of a café, capturing a rainy street.
On the flag: Charlottesville, Virginia, USA sketcher Jessie Chapman sketching at Charlottesville train station with UVA Medical Center in the distance.
Urban Sketchers is a grassroots 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to fostering the art of on-location drawing. Consider making a donation today to help us continue to 'Show the World, One Drawing at a Time.' All donations in the United States are tax-deductible to the extent allowable by law.
1. We draw on location, indoors or out, capturing what we see from direct observation.
2. Our drawings tell the story of our surroundings, the places we live and where we travel.
3. Our drawings are a record of time and place.
4. We are truthful to the scenes we witness.
5. We use any kind of media and cherish our individual styles.
6. We support each other and draw together.
7. We share our drawings online.
8. We show the world, one drawing at a time.
The Urban Sketchers logo was created by Italian graphic designer Franco Lancio.