Following Ch'ng Kiah Khien's post on his recent Taiwan sketching trip, I am sharing my pieces.
I sketched with KK on the last few days of 2012 in Taiwan. I did two loose watercolour pieces at Ximending, Taipei. This is what you see when I put two of them side by side. The name "Ximending" came from the period of Japanese colonization. Ximending, a happening place, is the center for recreation then and now. So glad to meet all the sketchers here in Taipei. Even Kwin from Bangkok joined us later. A rare Asian sketchers' Meet in Taiwan!
While waiting for Kwin, a sketcher from Thailand, we continued to sketch at Ximending and i decided to do a black and white piece in my sketchbook. really felt very free and loose and lots of fun too. Two Taiwanese passersby were so shocked when they watched me using the dirty tissue which I used to clean the brushes to have a dab here and a blob there on the sketchbook to create the darker tones that you see here.
Kwin finally joined us at Taipei in the late afternoon, What a gathering for sketchers from Thailand, Singapore and Malaysia! Totally unplanned! It just happened on 28 Dec 2012!
On the flag: Johannesburg sketcher Cathy Gatland sketching outside Kippies Jazz Club in Newtown.
Urban Sketchers is a grassroots 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to fostering the art of on-location drawing. Consider making a donation today to help us continue to 'Show the World, One Drawing at a Time.' All donations in the United States are tax-deductible to the extent allowable by law.
1. We draw on location, indoors or out, capturing what we see from direct observation.
2. Our drawings tell the story of our surroundings, the places we live and where we travel.
3. Our drawings are a record of time and place.
4. We are truthful to the scenes we witness.
5. We use any kind of media and cherish our individual styles.
6. We support each other and draw together.
7. We share our drawings online.
8. We show the world, one drawing at a time.
The Urban Sketchers logo was created by Italian graphic designer Franco Lancio.