Recently myself, TIA and 2 other USk-Singapore sketchers (Jenny & Marvin) were invited to teach a 10 week Urbansketching workshop with Singapore University of Design and Technology (SUTD). This university has a tie-up with MIT for its architecture and engineering programmes. First five sessions were spent in school learning the basics like lines and textures. The last four were practical on-location sketching sessions. The students were very enthusiastic and produced remarkable work within a short span of time. Above are 2 of my on-location demo pieces.
On the flag: Johannesburg sketcher Cathy Gatland sketching outside Kippies Jazz Club in Newtown.
Urban Sketchers is a grassroots 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to fostering the art of on-location drawing. Consider making a donation today to help us continue to 'Show the World, One Drawing at a Time.' All donations in the United States are tax-deductible to the extent allowable by law.
1. We draw on location, indoors or out, capturing what we see from direct observation.
2. Our drawings tell the story of our surroundings, the places we live and where we travel.
3. Our drawings are a record of time and place.
4. We are truthful to the scenes we witness.
5. We use any kind of media and cherish our individual styles.
6. We support each other and draw together.
7. We share our drawings online.
8. We show the world, one drawing at a time.
The Urban Sketchers logo was created by Italian graphic designer Franco Lancio.