I love great college campuses. The artful arrangement of great architecture, sculpted open spaces and mature vegetation within a context of learning and tradition creates a very special sense of place. Patti and I traveled to the Louisiana State campus for the LSU v. Alabama game this weekend, where ESPN College GameDay had set up for live broadcast on the huge semi-circular parade ground at the heart of the campus. I moved to the rear of the field to get an overall vista of the action, and sketched from my small folding stool.. The venerable Law School building at far right acted as a nice counterpoint to all the temporary tents, canopies, and the ESPN tour bus (center). Amazing energy and revelry for early on a Saturday morning!
On the flag: Johannesburg sketcher Cathy Gatland sketching outside Kippies Jazz Club in Newtown.
Urban Sketchers is a grassroots 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to fostering the art of on-location drawing. Consider making a donation today to help us continue to 'Show the World, One Drawing at a Time.' All donations in the United States are tax-deductible to the extent allowable by law.
1. We draw on location, indoors or out, capturing what we see from direct observation.
2. Our drawings tell the story of our surroundings, the places we live and where we travel.
3. Our drawings are a record of time and place.
4. We are truthful to the scenes we witness.
5. We use any kind of media and cherish our individual styles.
6. We support each other and draw together.
7. We share our drawings online.
8. We show the world, one drawing at a time.
The Urban Sketchers logo was created by Italian graphic designer Franco Lancio.