"My name is Luís Simões. I was born in July 20th, 1979 in Lisbon, Portugal. Since 2009 I draw like an urban sketcher. I use my free time to draw, listening music and to practice sports: swim, korfball, capoeira and surf. By nature, I'm a compulsive observer and my visual memory is my guiding compass. I always leave my camera at home, searching for “good pictures” sketching instead. Architecture, sculpture, people, food, lights, objects, shapes, are all good subjects to sketch, especially when you travel there is no limitation.
Since nine months I've been working to a project called "World Sketching Tour - FIVE continents, FIVE years, ONE dream". Next five years I'll go around the world to sketch whatever my eyes capture and meeting urban sketchers all over the world. I will post here my encounters, my sketches and a short travel diary. During my trip I will ask to local Urban Sketchers if they want to give me hospitality in their or theirs friends home and/or if they have time to meet me, to sketch together and share experiences."
On the flag: Johannesburg sketcher Cathy Gatland sketching outside Kippies Jazz Club in Newtown.
Urban Sketchers is a grassroots 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to fostering the art of on-location drawing. Consider making a donation today to help us continue to 'Show the World, One Drawing at a Time.' All donations in the United States are tax-deductible to the extent allowable by law.
1. We draw on location, indoors or out, capturing what we see from direct observation.
2. Our drawings tell the story of our surroundings, the places we live and where we travel.
3. Our drawings are a record of time and place.
4. We are truthful to the scenes we witness.
5. We use any kind of media and cherish our individual styles.
6. We support each other and draw together.
7. We share our drawings online.
8. We show the world, one drawing at a time.
The Urban Sketchers logo was created by Italian graphic designer Franco Lancio.