"A frustrated traveller, dreaming of experiencing exotic destinations whilst stuck at the bottom of the world, I couldn't believe my luck when one day I stumbled across Urban Sketchers.
Here was a way to see the world through the eyes of other artists whenever I wanted to! It's also an opportunity to present a window on a different New Zealand through my eyes for others to enjoy. We are known for our clean green image promoting alpine, beach and bush scenery. This is very dear to a kiwi's heart, but in reality 86% of us live in an urban environment and have all the advantages and disadvantages that this brings and some of it is very sketchable!
Drawing the world around me on location is a refreshing antidote for the many hours spent on a computer at my graphic design business finessing the perfect result for my clients. It opens my eyes to the reality that surrounds me and actually makes where I live seem more interesting. I look forward to bringing you my place, Aotearoa, at Urban Sketchers."
On the flag: Johannesburg sketcher Cathy Gatland sketching outside Kippies Jazz Club in Newtown.
Urban Sketchers is a grassroots 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to fostering the art of on-location drawing. Consider making a donation today to help us continue to 'Show the World, One Drawing at a Time.' All donations in the United States are tax-deductible to the extent allowable by law.
1. We draw on location, indoors or out, capturing what we see from direct observation.
2. Our drawings tell the story of our surroundings, the places we live and where we travel.
3. Our drawings are a record of time and place.
4. We are truthful to the scenes we witness.
5. We use any kind of media and cherish our individual styles.
6. We support each other and draw together.
7. We share our drawings online.
8. We show the world, one drawing at a time.
The Urban Sketchers logo was created by Italian graphic designer Franco Lancio.