I missed by bus on Saturday, which means an hour-long wait for the next one. I didn't see it as an hour lost, more a sketchbook opportunity gained. Just up the road, up the railroad in fact, this train engine was sitting, and so I sat by the lumber yard and sketched it before it could go anywhere. I don't know if it was planning to go anywhere just yet. When I was done, it reminded me of a Top Trumps card or something.
On the flag: Johannesburg sketcher Cathy Gatland sketching outside Kippies Jazz Club in Newtown.
Urban Sketchers is a grassroots 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to fostering the art of on-location drawing. Consider making a donation today to help us continue to 'Show the World, One Drawing at a Time.' All donations in the United States are tax-deductible to the extent allowable by law.
1. We draw on location, indoors or out, capturing what we see from direct observation.
2. Our drawings tell the story of our surroundings, the places we live and where we travel.
3. Our drawings are a record of time and place.
4. We are truthful to the scenes we witness.
5. We use any kind of media and cherish our individual styles.
6. We support each other and draw together.
7. We share our drawings online.
8. We show the world, one drawing at a time.
The Urban Sketchers logo was created by Italian graphic designer Franco Lancio.