Urban sketchers are taking their art from their closed notebooks to the open walls of art galleries around the world. Here's a roundup of some recent and future exhibits of location drawings:
- In Singapore, Tia, Don Low, Paul Wang and Miel banded together to showcase their work at White Canvas art gallery. The exhibit "Tiong Bahru Sketches: Outside-In," grew out of several sketchcrawls around the historic Tiong Bahru district. Congratulations to the team for a groundbreaking show!
- In Bangkok, Cassia Gallery hosted Asnee Tasna’s first solo exhibit including 30 watercolor paintings and sketches of picturesque Yunnan and Bhutan, as well as scenes of bustling Bangkok such as Tha Tian market and Chinatown. Asnee and fellow sketcher Pramote Kitchumnongpan have also been busy drawing around the city with the Bangkok Sketchers.
- In Los Angeles, Shiho Nakaza's sketches will be featured in a group exhibit at Gallery Nucleus in Alhambra, Calif. The show is on view from July 16 - August 9. This exhibit is held in conjunction with ICON6: the Illustration Conference.
- In Barcelona, artists' collective Terminal B is hosting an exhibit dedicated to illustrated pieces of art in journals and notebooks (October 7-21 at FAD.) "Diary Art/Moleskine" will feature work by sketchers Lapin, Sagar and Swasky among others. See press release at Moleskine's website for more information.
- The 2nd edition of De Vuelta Con El Cuaderno will take place in Zaragoza Sept. 9 through 11. The three-day sketching workshop is organized by Clara Marta, of the Escuela Superior de Diseño de Aragón. Our own Portland Symposium coming up in a couple of weeks was inspired by the 1st edition of this fabulous program, a perfect excuse to travel to Spain in September!
- Javier de Blas, of Escuela Superior de Diseño de la Rioja, taught a sketching workshop in Porto. See photos and drawings here.
- Italian tourism site Terremobili dot com has a nice article about Urban Sketchers and the work of Catania correspondent Omar Jaramillo.
If you have sketching related news from your corner of the world, send them to urbansketchers at gmail dot com and we'll see to include them in future Drawing Attention updates.
Happy sketching folks,