"I was born in 1967 and always enjoy drawing since my childhood.
As an architect, I feel that freehand drawing has been and still is a very effective way to build a good communication to the clients. It is quick, very expressive and lively information. Sometimes I make a very quick design idea in front of my client and mostly it works very well. Everybody needs everything quick. They do not only like 'Fast food'.... but also they love 'Fast design' or 'Fast drawing' or 'Fast sketching'...
Back in 1987, I was an exchange student. I had lived in Australia for a year and I have lots of sketches done outdoors... One day somebody watched me drawing outdoors. She came to me closer and told me: Could you please make a sketch of my shop? I will frame it if it is good. Off course I didn't mind. After 5 minutes the sketch done. She was very happy... then gave me five bucks directly. Thanks God, I had extra money for that day to buy a chocolate and ice cream.
The word 'Urban Sketcher' it sounds good since the first time I found it. In fact, I have done it on and off for some years.
I never realized that I am an urban sketcher. The term 'urban sketcher' really push my appetite of sketching more and more."
On the flag: Charlottesville, Virginia, USA sketcher Jessie Chapman sketching at Charlottesville train station with UVA Medical Center in the distance.
Urban Sketchers is a grassroots 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to fostering the art of on-location drawing. Consider making a donation today to help us continue to 'Show the World, One Drawing at a Time.' All donations in the United States are tax-deductible to the extent allowable by law.
1. We draw on location, indoors or out, capturing what we see from direct observation.
2. Our drawings tell the story of our surroundings, the places we live and where we travel.
3. Our drawings are a record of time and place.
4. We are truthful to the scenes we witness.
5. We use any kind of media and cherish our individual styles.
6. We support each other and draw together.
7. We share our drawings online.
8. We show the world, one drawing at a time.
The Urban Sketchers logo was created by Italian graphic designer Franco Lancio.