"Drawing has been to me my most faithful mirror. 'A drawing never lies' I heard someone dear to me say once, and boy is it true.
I grew up surrounded by paintbrushes and music on this half island called Dominican Republic. I have always believed that I carry this craving for art in my blood, my grandfather was a self taught painter, my mother a painting teacher, my father an architect.
At high school I thought I wanted to go on and study advertising, yet a friend advised me to go to a wonderful design school, Altos de Chavon, in a town here called La Romana. I graduated in Fine Arts and Illustration. From there, I went on to Parsons in New York City, and a fantastic teacher opened my eyes and heart to the world of reportage drawing.
It has become an intrinsic part of my life now. I'm always willing to learn and grow from the experience of drawing life as it's happening around me. It's a priceless gift, and although I cannot say I haven't run into frustrating moments, drawing is always there for me, as my eyes, as my hands, as my voice."
Urban Sketchers is a grassroots 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to fostering the art of on-location drawing. Consider making a donation today to help us continue to 'Show the World, One Drawing at a Time.' All donations in the United States are tax-deductible to the extent allowable by law.
BARCELONA Symposium Blog
1st Annual West Coast Urban Sketchers Sketchcrawl
us this summer in the San Francisco Bay Area! Click the image for
Thanks to artist-donors from USK.org and the USK Regional blogs you can purchase a fine art print, and support UrbanSketchers!
1. We draw on location, indoors or out, capturing what we see from direct observation.
2. Our drawings tell the story of our surroundings, the places we live and where we travel.
3. Our drawings are a record of time and place.
4. We are truthful to the scenes we witness.
5. We use any kind of media and cherish our individual styles.
6. We support each other and draw together.
7. We share our drawings online.
8. We show the world, one drawing at a time.
The Urban Sketchers logo was created by Italian graphic designer Franco Lancio.