Green Lanes: it sounds rural, but isn't. It runs along the end of our road, and is home to a variety of Turkish restaurants and cafes, pubs and independent shops, and a selection of empty retail outlets, while traffic heads into central London a few miles south. It's probably nobody's idea of shopping heaven, yet the kind of gritty, urban glue that holds more glamorous parts of town together. From inside a cafe, over a cup of coffee, I'm met by a swelling roar from the nearby Emirates Stadium, where Arsenal are beating Tottenham in the north London derby.
On the flag: Charlottesville, Virginia, USA sketcher Jessie Chapman sketching at Charlottesville train station with UVA Medical Center in the distance.
Urban Sketchers is a grassroots 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to fostering the art of on-location drawing. Consider making a donation today to help us continue to 'Show the World, One Drawing at a Time.' All donations in the United States are tax-deductible to the extent allowable by law.
1. We draw on location, indoors or out, capturing what we see from direct observation.
2. Our drawings tell the story of our surroundings, the places we live and where we travel.
3. Our drawings are a record of time and place.
4. We are truthful to the scenes we witness.
5. We use any kind of media and cherish our individual styles.
6. We support each other and draw together.
7. We share our drawings online.
8. We show the world, one drawing at a time.
The Urban Sketchers logo was created by Italian graphic designer Franco Lancio.