"I showed a passion for drawing from an early age, standing out among my peers for my capacity to express what I was observing. I still remember the day when my teacher grounded me because she asked us to draw a swan and she said I had traced it. One day she asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up and I answered without hesitation: “I want to be a fireman.”
I worked hard and in 2003 I passed the exams to join the Madrid Fire Department. Around the same time, I began to explore my artistic abilities more seriously. I took an illustration course and developed a passionate interest in comics, illustration and traditional animation.
Now I combine my work as a firefighter with my love for capturing images. During the free time, I draw for pleasure without having to make a living out of it.
I can’t find anything else that makes me feel a comparable emotion than when I stop to look around me and start drawing."
On the flag: Johannesburg sketcher Cathy Gatland sketching outside Kippies Jazz Club in Newtown.
Urban Sketchers is a grassroots 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to fostering the art of on-location drawing. Consider making a donation today to help us continue to 'Show the World, One Drawing at a Time.' All donations in the United States are tax-deductible to the extent allowable by law.
1. We draw on location, indoors or out, capturing what we see from direct observation.
2. Our drawings tell the story of our surroundings, the places we live and where we travel.
3. Our drawings are a record of time and place.
4. We are truthful to the scenes we witness.
5. We use any kind of media and cherish our individual styles.
6. We support each other and draw together.
7. We share our drawings online.
8. We show the world, one drawing at a time.
The Urban Sketchers logo was created by Italian graphic designer Franco Lancio.