"To draw in a sketchbook became very rapidly an obsession, a need. I draw in bars, cafés, as I take public transportation, at night, during parties, when I travel, under the sun.
Ten years have passed since I arrived in Paris and this obsession hasn’t disappeared. It is true that drawing people interests me more than drawing architecture. My sketchbooks are based on the people I meet, in current day life, as if it were a diary. Initially, it was a means to reinforce my drawing skills. However, it has gradually become a truthful way of existing. My relation to the world becomes easier with a sketchbook in my hands.
My sketchbook has become today the most durable and coherent example of my work… and in my vision, the most precious one."
On the flag: Charlottesville, Virginia, USA sketcher Jessie Chapman sketching at Charlottesville train station with UVA Medical Center in the distance.
Urban Sketchers is a grassroots 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to fostering the art of on-location drawing. Consider making a donation today to help us continue to 'Show the World, One Drawing at a Time.' All donations in the United States are tax-deductible to the extent allowable by law.
1. We draw on location, indoors or out, capturing what we see from direct observation.
2. Our drawings tell the story of our surroundings, the places we live and where we travel.
3. Our drawings are a record of time and place.
4. We are truthful to the scenes we witness.
5. We use any kind of media and cherish our individual styles.
6. We support each other and draw together.
7. We share our drawings online.
8. We show the world, one drawing at a time.
The Urban Sketchers logo was created by Italian graphic designer Franco Lancio.