"I’ve drawn for as long as I can remember, always preferring people over buildings, landscapes or animals as subject matter — though I’m working on getting better at drawing those! What I love about bustling, vibey, contradictory Johannesburg, are the small cameos of life around the streets — people going about their daily business, earning a living or just interacting with each other. The inhabitants are wildly diverse, from traffic-light beggars to platinum-dealing stock brokers, and everything in between. I mostly sketch street scenes from the anonymity and security of my car, with quick line drawings that I usually shade and colour later. If I find myself in one of the sophisticated shopping malls with time to spare, I’ll try and draw the other side of the spectrum of the ‘Rainbow Nation’ under cover of my coffee cup and magazine. I look forward to showing you glimpses of my life in this city."
On the flag: Charlottesville, Virginia, USA sketcher Jessie Chapman sketching at Charlottesville train station with UVA Medical Center in the distance.
Urban Sketchers is a grassroots 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to fostering the art of on-location drawing. Consider making a donation today to help us continue to 'Show the World, One Drawing at a Time.' All donations in the United States are tax-deductible to the extent allowable by law.
1. We draw on location, indoors or out, capturing what we see from direct observation.
2. Our drawings tell the story of our surroundings, the places we live and where we travel.
3. Our drawings are a record of time and place.
4. We are truthful to the scenes we witness.
5. We use any kind of media and cherish our individual styles.
6. We support each other and draw together.
7. We share our drawings online.
8. We show the world, one drawing at a time.
The Urban Sketchers logo was created by Italian graphic designer Franco Lancio.