"For the past two years I've been fortunate enough to be employed as a storyboard artist in the south of France. While learning and growing professionally on a great project I also wanted to use my free time to discover a new country and culture through my sketchbook.
I went out as often as possible to record the sights and people that I encountered on my travels in and around the French Riviera and also Paris, Annecy and Northern Italy.
In those two years I've drawn more than ever before but still don't think it's enough! I'm sure you'll all feel the same way — that drawing is a life-long struggle but therein lies the challenge and the fun."
On the flag: Johannesburg sketcher Cathy Gatland sketching outside Kippies Jazz Club in Newtown.
Urban Sketchers is a grassroots 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to fostering the art of on-location drawing. Consider making a donation today to help us continue to 'Show the World, One Drawing at a Time.' All donations in the United States are tax-deductible to the extent allowable by law.
1. We draw on location, indoors or out, capturing what we see from direct observation.
2. Our drawings tell the story of our surroundings, the places we live and where we travel.
3. Our drawings are a record of time and place.
4. We are truthful to the scenes we witness.
5. We use any kind of media and cherish our individual styles.
6. We support each other and draw together.
7. We share our drawings online.
8. We show the world, one drawing at a time.
The Urban Sketchers logo was created by Italian graphic designer Franco Lancio.