"I hail from Rochester NY, but have spent the last few years living outside of Washington DC, where I have been teaching art to fantastic kids at a fantastic elementary school.
My desire to start urban sketching began with a trip to Stockholm visiting family. The city demanded some attention portraying its beauty in pencil and ink which I was happy to provide. Fortunately the drawing bug stuck as I have been putting DC to paper (or more often cardboard) with the same interest I found in Sweden.
Making these urban sketches has become both an act of meditation and exploration for me. It helps me seek out and discover new parts of this city I call home, as well as focus on spaces and places I may have never paid attention to otherwise.
DC has an abundance of grand recognizable architecture, and hopefully I can bring some attention to some of the smaller and equally beautiful character of this city as well."
On the flag: Johannesburg sketcher Cathy Gatland sketching outside Kippies Jazz Club in Newtown.
Urban Sketchers is a grassroots 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to fostering the art of on-location drawing. Consider making a donation today to help us continue to 'Show the World, One Drawing at a Time.' All donations in the United States are tax-deductible to the extent allowable by law.
1. We draw on location, indoors or out, capturing what we see from direct observation.
2. Our drawings tell the story of our surroundings, the places we live and where we travel.
3. Our drawings are a record of time and place.
4. We are truthful to the scenes we witness.
5. We use any kind of media and cherish our individual styles.
6. We support each other and draw together.
7. We share our drawings online.
8. We show the world, one drawing at a time.
The Urban Sketchers logo was created by Italian graphic designer Franco Lancio.