"My name is Martin, I was born in the Normandy region of France and I currently live in Paris.
I have been an architect for ten years, but I prefer drawing rather than working. Perhaps that’s why I’m currently unemployed (my favourite job).
I’m neither an explorer nor a traveller who’s searching for something new all the time. I’m just a guy who loves to take advantage of his free-time to draw, most of the time at home, in bars, in the street or on trains… I sketch as I stroll.
I like to draw everyday things because I think if you look hard enough you can find a source of daydreaming in very simple things which are right in front of your eyes."
On the flag: Charlottesville, Virginia, USA sketcher Jessie Chapman sketching at Charlottesville train station with UVA Medical Center in the distance.
Urban Sketchers is a grassroots 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to fostering the art of on-location drawing. Consider making a donation today to help us continue to 'Show the World, One Drawing at a Time.' All donations in the United States are tax-deductible to the extent allowable by law.
1. We draw on location, indoors or out, capturing what we see from direct observation.
2. Our drawings tell the story of our surroundings, the places we live and where we travel.
3. Our drawings are a record of time and place.
4. We are truthful to the scenes we witness.
5. We use any kind of media and cherish our individual styles.
6. We support each other and draw together.
7. We share our drawings online.
8. We show the world, one drawing at a time.
The Urban Sketchers logo was created by Italian graphic designer Franco Lancio.