"I love the look of a plain page spread of my sketchbook, it gets me hungry to fill it with the people I see everyday on the trains, tube and buses in London. I go through the London Transport System armed with my biro or pencil and an A6 sketchbook looking at people's faces and I get high! I love everything about the human face and going through a multicultural city like London serves me with all I need to see, feel and explore. I love sketching on location because it trains my eye and hand co-ordination, something useful for me as a figurative/portrait painter. But most of all I just enjoy the experience of sketching with the people all around me watching, peeping, making comments, getting cross, smiling and best of all asking me to send the sketches to their mail boxes for their personal use!"
On the flag: Charlottesville, Virginia, USA sketcher Jessie Chapman sketching at Charlottesville train station with UVA Medical Center in the distance.
Urban Sketchers is a grassroots 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to fostering the art of on-location drawing. Consider making a donation today to help us continue to 'Show the World, One Drawing at a Time.' All donations in the United States are tax-deductible to the extent allowable by law.
1. We draw on location, indoors or out, capturing what we see from direct observation.
2. Our drawings tell the story of our surroundings, the places we live and where we travel.
3. Our drawings are a record of time and place.
4. We are truthful to the scenes we witness.
5. We use any kind of media and cherish our individual styles.
6. We support each other and draw together.
7. We share our drawings online.
8. We show the world, one drawing at a time.
The Urban Sketchers logo was created by Italian graphic designer Franco Lancio.