Samantha contributes from Istanbul since December of 2008. "San Francisco is an incredibly diverse city, with so many kinds of people, styles of architecture and varying landscapes —it's very inspiring. Plus, we're fortunate to have a mild climate year-round that makes it a wonderful place for artists to draw outdoors, and perfect for people-watching. I particularly love drawing people in those forgettable moments, the unremarkable daily coffee at their usual café, the bus ride, the walk downtown. Those moments seem so private, so intimate and special, and I find that people are most relaxed in them, making it easier for me to create an interesting drawing. I generally use Micron and Bic pens, occasionally switching to a pencil, sometimes adding a bit of gouache or watercolor for fun."
On the flag: Charlottesville, Virginia, USA sketcher Jessie Chapman sketching at Charlottesville train station with UVA Medical Center in the distance.
Urban Sketchers is a grassroots 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to fostering the art of on-location drawing. Consider making a donation today to help us continue to 'Show the World, One Drawing at a Time.' All donations in the United States are tax-deductible to the extent allowable by law.
1. We draw on location, indoors or out, capturing what we see from direct observation.
2. Our drawings tell the story of our surroundings, the places we live and where we travel.
3. Our drawings are a record of time and place.
4. We are truthful to the scenes we witness.
5. We use any kind of media and cherish our individual styles.
6. We support each other and draw together.
7. We share our drawings online.
8. We show the world, one drawing at a time.
The Urban Sketchers logo was created by Italian graphic designer Franco Lancio.