Drink up baby, look at the stars and I'll kiss you again between the bars
"For me visiting a bar is the same cultural experience as going to the theater, museum, watching a movie. It is architecture, music, literature and cinema all in one. Drawing in bars helps to get these things altogether — you only chose the seat with the best view and start spying. Unknown different people around, how they act in the place, how they look in the interior, different stories, different voices, music makes the real mood. So that's where you can get inspiration even without alcohol.
So can you imagine the ideal evening: dark party bar, billie holiday playing, wine shines in the glasses, drops of beer on the table, the smell of cinnamon and somebodies perfume, soft light, beautiful dresses and colors, people laughing. And you can draw it all the way you want!"
On the flag: Charlottesville, Virginia, USA sketcher Jessie Chapman sketching at Charlottesville train station with UVA Medical Center in the distance.
Urban Sketchers is a grassroots 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to fostering the art of on-location drawing. Consider making a donation today to help us continue to 'Show the World, One Drawing at a Time.' All donations in the United States are tax-deductible to the extent allowable by law.
1. We draw on location, indoors or out, capturing what we see from direct observation.
2. Our drawings tell the story of our surroundings, the places we live and where we travel.
3. Our drawings are a record of time and place.
4. We are truthful to the scenes we witness.
5. We use any kind of media and cherish our individual styles.
6. We support each other and draw together.
7. We share our drawings online.
8. We show the world, one drawing at a time.
The Urban Sketchers logo was created by Italian graphic designer Franco Lancio.