"I do not remember any time in my life when I did not practice drawing. Over the years, I only saw the will to draw grow on me day after day. Since 1999, I record my impressions in notebooks that vary in size. I don't follow a single technique, I use graphite, ballpoint pen, China ink, gouache or watercolor. In the sketch is explained my way of seeing the world. I believe that through the visual record we can see things that go unnoticed on another occasion. I draw everywhere: In the subway, on buses, at the bakery, at home ... often use blank pages from the books for my paintings in oil or various graphics projects."
On the flag: Johannesburg sketcher Cathy Gatland sketching outside Kippies Jazz Club in Newtown.
Urban Sketchers is a grassroots 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to fostering the art of on-location drawing. Consider making a donation today to help us continue to 'Show the World, One Drawing at a Time.' All donations in the United States are tax-deductible to the extent allowable by law.
1. We draw on location, indoors or out, capturing what we see from direct observation.
2. Our drawings tell the story of our surroundings, the places we live and where we travel.
3. Our drawings are a record of time and place.
4. We are truthful to the scenes we witness.
5. We use any kind of media and cherish our individual styles.
6. We support each other and draw together.
7. We share our drawings online.
8. We show the world, one drawing at a time.
The Urban Sketchers logo was created by Italian graphic designer Franco Lancio.