"I love to sketch urban environments, especially when natural and manmade elements collide. It is in these spaces that cities express their vitality and unique personality. I do a lot of sketching in cafes and bars as well as on the street or, in inclement weather, from my car. Whether in my hometown of Berkeley or throughout the greater Bay Area I find endless sketching inspiration.
My favorite pages are captured when unexpected opportunities arise so I keep my little sketching kit close at hand. Sketching also gives me the motivation to travel, alone or with others. It provides a purpose for my trips and outings; rather than feeling indulgent I become a noble explorer. I love that sketching is a solitary activity yet can place and ground me in the middle of crowded, lively scenes. My sketchbook is a true friend: it goes with me everywhere, shares my adventures, saves me from boredom, and keeps me company."
On the flag: Charlottesville, Virginia, USA sketcher Jessie Chapman sketching at Charlottesville train station with UVA Medical Center in the distance.
Urban Sketchers is a grassroots 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to fostering the art of on-location drawing. Consider making a donation today to help us continue to 'Show the World, One Drawing at a Time.' All donations in the United States are tax-deductible to the extent allowable by law.
1. We draw on location, indoors or out, capturing what we see from direct observation.
2. Our drawings tell the story of our surroundings, the places we live and where we travel.
3. Our drawings are a record of time and place.
4. We are truthful to the scenes we witness.
5. We use any kind of media and cherish our individual styles.
6. We support each other and draw together.
7. We share our drawings online.
8. We show the world, one drawing at a time.
The Urban Sketchers logo was created by Italian graphic designer Franco Lancio.