"I live in the heart of Oslo. People here are busy and private, they only care for their own business, and actually leave me alone to observe their environment and sketch them. It’s not as cold in the city as the rumors has it, but you can’t really sit for long outdoors drawing during winter, early spring and late autumn. I’m not very patient anyway. Whenever I start a sketch, I’m immediately looking forward to starting on the next one.
Like others correspondents of Urban Sketchers, I use my sketches to document my life and experiences through the days and keep my sketches in my journals. As a rule I’ve prohibited myself to rip out any pages in my journals. It gives me focus and forces me to commit to my sketches. I’ve always considered myself as fortunate because I have the skill to do what I enjoy the most. Can’t wait to share my greatest joy with you!"
On the flag: Johannesburg sketcher Cathy Gatland sketching outside Kippies Jazz Club in Newtown.
Urban Sketchers is a grassroots 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to fostering the art of on-location drawing. Consider making a donation today to help us continue to 'Show the World, One Drawing at a Time.' All donations in the United States are tax-deductible to the extent allowable by law.
1. We draw on location, indoors or out, capturing what we see from direct observation.
2. Our drawings tell the story of our surroundings, the places we live and where we travel.
3. Our drawings are a record of time and place.
4. We are truthful to the scenes we witness.
5. We use any kind of media and cherish our individual styles.
6. We support each other and draw together.
7. We share our drawings online.
8. We show the world, one drawing at a time.
The Urban Sketchers logo was created by Italian graphic designer Franco Lancio.