"I rediscovered my love of drawing during an MA course in illustration. I have been a professional illustrator for more than twenty years and prior to taking the course had gotten a little stale. Now I draw everyday as a way to keep my work fresh and honest.
Living in New York City, as I have done for the last twenty years, I’m amazed by just how much can pass you by if you fail to stop and look. Carrying a sketchbook with me has given me a reason to seek out new places and experiences that I would otherwise have missed.
I live in Brooklyn so I hope to show you just what makes this place so special."
On the flag: Charlottesville, Virginia, USA sketcher Jessie Chapman sketching at Charlottesville train station with UVA Medical Center in the distance.
Urban Sketchers is a grassroots 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to fostering the art of on-location drawing. Consider making a donation today to help us continue to 'Show the World, One Drawing at a Time.' All donations in the United States are tax-deductible to the extent allowable by law.
1. We draw on location, indoors or out, capturing what we see from direct observation.
2. Our drawings tell the story of our surroundings, the places we live and where we travel.
3. Our drawings are a record of time and place.
4. We are truthful to the scenes we witness.
5. We use any kind of media and cherish our individual styles.
6. We support each other and draw together.
7. We share our drawings online.
8. We show the world, one drawing at a time.
The Urban Sketchers logo was created by Italian graphic designer Franco Lancio.