"I have been drawing on location for as long as I can remember. In fact, it’s difficult to work in the studio because I’ve been drawing “outside” for so long and in so many places. There is nothing like reportage drawing in the midst of swirling humanity or in the calm of a garden. All the sights, sounds and smells find their way into your drawings.
Drawing on location creates aliveness, animation and spontaneity in all your art, not just your reportage drawings. It’s always rewarding to see my students embark on this road.
Once you become a reportage artist everything you do is infused with motion and life. It’s difficult to see the world any other way. To go somewhere and filter that world through your eyes and hands and create a piece of art that no one else can create is a great feeling. It’s an experience I love to live whenever I get the chance."
On the flag: Charlottesville, Virginia, USA sketcher Jessie Chapman sketching at Charlottesville train station with UVA Medical Center in the distance.
Urban Sketchers is a grassroots 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to fostering the art of on-location drawing. Consider making a donation today to help us continue to 'Show the World, One Drawing at a Time.' All donations in the United States are tax-deductible to the extent allowable by law.
1. We draw on location, indoors or out, capturing what we see from direct observation.
2. Our drawings tell the story of our surroundings, the places we live and where we travel.
3. Our drawings are a record of time and place.
4. We are truthful to the scenes we witness.
5. We use any kind of media and cherish our individual styles.
6. We support each other and draw together.
7. We share our drawings online.
8. We show the world, one drawing at a time.
The Urban Sketchers logo was created by Italian graphic designer Franco Lancio.