Watercolours on ball point pen drawings done in motion, inside the nº 9 bus on my way to the city center
"My sketchbooks are my mobile studio. I carry them everywhere I go. Every time I open one, I have the opportunity to work with different techniques while observing and drawing little details that otherwise, would most probably remain unnoticed.
The sketchbook practice allows me to witness what surrounds me and in a certain sense to take part in it. After living in Brussels, Rome and Lisbon, Spain has been my home for the past 3 years. I hope my sketchbooks will be able to make you feel — more than just see — what it is like for me to be in Madrid."
On the flag: Charlottesville, Virginia, USA sketcher Jessie Chapman sketching at Charlottesville train station with UVA Medical Center in the distance.
Urban Sketchers is a grassroots 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to fostering the art of on-location drawing. Consider making a donation today to help us continue to 'Show the World, One Drawing at a Time.' All donations in the United States are tax-deductible to the extent allowable by law.
1. We draw on location, indoors or out, capturing what we see from direct observation.
2. Our drawings tell the story of our surroundings, the places we live and where we travel.
3. Our drawings are a record of time and place.
4. We are truthful to the scenes we witness.
5. We use any kind of media and cherish our individual styles.
6. We support each other and draw together.
7. We share our drawings online.
8. We show the world, one drawing at a time.
The Urban Sketchers logo was created by Italian graphic designer Franco Lancio.