"Documenting everything of my immediate environment, I blog from London, England. The choice of subject matter revolves around my own life in the city: my favorite places here are nooks and crannies of the East End and it's various street markets; second favorite place is the National Gallery offering a great place to study from the masters. It's more than copying, working out the lines and shapes with a pen allows one to get into the great artists' heads, spy on the challenges that they had to solve... Same way with sketching various parts of the city — it helps me to get to know it first hand and celebrate its uniqueness. For materials I use Copic markers and ink pen on A5 sized paper. Besides, I paint a small oil painting each day and post it on my blog."
On the flag: Charlottesville, Virginia, USA sketcher Jessie Chapman sketching at Charlottesville train station with UVA Medical Center in the distance.
Urban Sketchers is a grassroots 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to fostering the art of on-location drawing. Consider making a donation today to help us continue to 'Show the World, One Drawing at a Time.' All donations in the United States are tax-deductible to the extent allowable by law.
1. We draw on location, indoors or out, capturing what we see from direct observation.
2. Our drawings tell the story of our surroundings, the places we live and where we travel.
3. Our drawings are a record of time and place.
4. We are truthful to the scenes we witness.
5. We use any kind of media and cherish our individual styles.
6. We support each other and draw together.
7. We share our drawings online.
8. We show the world, one drawing at a time.
The Urban Sketchers logo was created by Italian graphic designer Franco Lancio.