"The best bit about sketching for me is the way it helps to remember a place so much better than any photo I could ever take.
I also sketch because it helps me to 'see' pictures everywhere I go, gives me a better record of colours than photos and helps me draw fast! I use pen and ink and coloured pencils and carry a sketchbook all the time. I love the challenge of creating composite sketches out of the people who come and go in galleries and cafés. However, I'm primarily attracted to finding the green places in an urban environment and the views and heritage associated with the River Thames — like the view of London and the Thames from Greenwich Park in my photo.
I enjoy sharing information about the places seen in my sketches and the practical aspects about good places to go to sketch. I'm using my blog to create a virtual sketch trail about different areas I've visited.
The spine of my London sketch trail is the River Thames and my blog has a record of recent sketches of London in four groups: (1) Central London, (2) the Thames downstream from Tower Bridge and the areas either side — Rotherhithe, the East End, Isle of Dogs and Canary Wharf (the new financial centre), (3) Greenwich and (4) Kew Gardens. You can see the images in my online London sketchbook website."
On the flag: Johannesburg sketcher Cathy Gatland sketching outside Kippies Jazz Club in Newtown.
Urban Sketchers is a grassroots 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to fostering the art of on-location drawing. Consider making a donation today to help us continue to 'Show the World, One Drawing at a Time.' All donations in the United States are tax-deductible to the extent allowable by law.
1. We draw on location, indoors or out, capturing what we see from direct observation.
2. Our drawings tell the story of our surroundings, the places we live and where we travel.
3. Our drawings are a record of time and place.
4. We are truthful to the scenes we witness.
5. We use any kind of media and cherish our individual styles.
6. We support each other and draw together.
7. We share our drawings online.
8. We show the world, one drawing at a time.
The Urban Sketchers logo was created by Italian graphic designer Franco Lancio.