View of Rossio Square, Lisbon, from the Santa Justa Elevator. October 12, 2008
"I feel a close connection between travelling and drawing, a fact that has many advantages: I get lots of memories from my sketchbooks when I travel, and, the fact that I feel I am travelling whenever I draw, enables me to travel day after day, in my own town. And what I like about my hometown, Lisbon, is the unexpected meeting of the alley, the old square, and the Tagus River, always peeking at every corner of the street."
On the flag: Johannesburg sketcher Cathy Gatland sketching outside Kippies Jazz Club in Newtown.
Urban Sketchers is a grassroots 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to fostering the art of on-location drawing. Consider making a donation today to help us continue to 'Show the World, One Drawing at a Time.' All donations in the United States are tax-deductible to the extent allowable by law.
1. We draw on location, indoors or out, capturing what we see from direct observation.
2. Our drawings tell the story of our surroundings, the places we live and where we travel.
3. Our drawings are a record of time and place.
4. We are truthful to the scenes we witness.
5. We use any kind of media and cherish our individual styles.
6. We support each other and draw together.
7. We share our drawings online.
8. We show the world, one drawing at a time.
The Urban Sketchers logo was created by Italian graphic designer Franco Lancio.