"The village of Kandern is located in southwestern Germany, at the bend of the Rhine River, just minutes from the borders of Switzerland and France. This makes an ideal location for sketching a variety of images, from the crowded streetcars of Basel, to the half-timbered houses of the Alsace region. But I equally enjoy the old farmhouses just down the road, the ones with the gaping cracks and the crooked shutters; houses that hold hundreds of memories and stories from years gone by. Until recently, my sketching consisted of chalkboard doodles for my students, but this year I began working in a sketchbook with pencils, fine point pens and watercolor."
On the flag: Johannesburg sketcher Cathy Gatland sketching outside Kippies Jazz Club in Newtown.
Urban Sketchers is a grassroots 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to fostering the art of on-location drawing. Consider making a donation today to help us continue to 'Show the World, One Drawing at a Time.' All donations in the United States are tax-deductible to the extent allowable by law.
1. We draw on location, indoors or out, capturing what we see from direct observation.
2. Our drawings tell the story of our surroundings, the places we live and where we travel.
3. Our drawings are a record of time and place.
4. We are truthful to the scenes we witness.
5. We use any kind of media and cherish our individual styles.
6. We support each other and draw together.
7. We share our drawings online.
8. We show the world, one drawing at a time.
The Urban Sketchers logo was created by Italian graphic designer Franco Lancio.